Go from gamer to designer. Kids love playing video games, but they have even more fun playing games designed by them and their friends! One of Empow Studios’ most popular classes, Video Game Design, encompasses storytelling, pixel art, and object-oriented programming, all through a user-friendly 2D game design platform. Our non-violence policy keeps the games cringe-free and sharable once the kids bring their games home for you to play!
Students learn the fundamentals of object-oriented programming through video game design while creating their own game. Don't tell the kids, but while creating the games, they will be learning math, geometry, design, logic, and object-oriented programming. Games can be played at home (MS Windows-only), and software used in class is available for download (MAC and PC) for those who want to continue working on their games at home.
Goals and Objectives:
- Demonstrate understanding of the concepts of events and actions
- Demonstrate understanding of the relationship between objects and sprites or their application equivalents
- Understand options for different types of games and perspectives used in 2D game design
- Understanding and working with timing in a game
- More text based coding- If... Else/Switch statements
- Animating sprites and programming with image variables
- Programming things to have some level of artificial intelligence
Click for more information: Empow Studios